Saturday 29 October 2011

What to buy - toys...

With Christmas nearly upon us I thought it would be a good chance to kick off my families global market experiment with an online shop for toys for Christmas. It is common knowledge that books, DVD's, CD's, and electronic games (Wii, Playstation, DS etc games) however I was surprised to find that for the vast majority of toys the prices weren't much cheaper once you factored in shipping. Not sure why I feel disappointed as it is goods news for us in Australia as it indicates that toy prices aren't significantly over priced like make up. I did find a couple of great buys including 400 pieces of loose Lego from eBay for only $28.00 which will cost approx $20.00 to ship, I couldn't even find this sort of 2nd hand Lego here in Australia. The Disney store have great sale items, as does the Discovery Channel shop. Fun Again Games have a fantastic range of board games and a great search function which allows you to be more specific in your hunt for the perfect gift. I also loved E-hobbies for unique and experimental type gifts. Overall I would not buys toys from the USA except for:
  • Lego - new and 2nd hand
  • books - electronic and paperback
  • DVD's
  • CD's
  • games - electronic and board
  • unique inc. scientific, experimental,
  • remote control vehicles - cars, planes, boats
  • sale items inc. Disney Store
Happy Shopping!

Charmaine

2 comments:

  1. I think DVDs from the US don't play on Australian machines, they're locked so they only work in certain regions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. USA Shopping Affair29 October 2011 at 15:17

    Thanks Anna, I've found that the DVD's we've got from the US will play on one of our DVD players but not the other. Not very techie so not sure what the DVD player requirements are to get them to play, we have the same issue with DVD's from the UK. If anyone knows the answer would be good to know.

    ReplyDelete